Skomer (Welsh: Ynys Sgomer) is a 2.92 km² island off the coast of southwest Wales, one of a chain lying within a kilometre off the Pembrokeshire coast and separated from the mainland by the treacherous waters of Jack Sound. Skomer Island measures approximately 2.4 km (1.5 mi) north-south and 3.2 km (2 mi) east-west.
 After the war, the owner had offered the West Wales Field Society, now The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, the opportunity to make a survey of Skomer which was accepted and the Skomer opened for visitors from April 1946. It was last permanently inhabited by the Codd family (all year round) in 1950, and is known for its stone circle, standing stone and remains of prehistoric houses, as well as for its abundant wildlife. Skomer is a National Nature Reserve, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Protection Area. Much of Skomer has also been designated an Ancient Monument. It is surrounded by a Marine Nature Reserve. It is managed by the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales.
[wpgmappity id= »9″]